August 7-13 is Central Alberta Pride Week! To celebrate, we are co-hosting a 'Reading with Royalty' event with Central Alberta Pride Society, opens a new window, taking place on Friday, August 12.
We understand that you may have some questions about this event, so we have included a brief FAQ section below. If you have any comments or questions related to the 'Reading with Royalty' program, please use the form below.
Q: What is a Drag Queen Storytime?
A: A Drag Queen Storytime is exactly like any other storytime, except that we have a special guest reader (who is a member of the 2SLGBTQ+ community), dressed in a fabulous sparkly outfit, sharing their love of reading, and choosing stories about love, acceptance, and diversity.
Q: Is this event appropriate for all ages?
A: Absolutely! As with all of our storytimes, the stories, crafts, costumes, and discussion are all carefully chosen with the age of our audience in mind.
Q: What are the benefits and reasons behind hosting such an event?
A: To name a few:
- It introduces children and families to a positive role model from the 2SLGBTQ+ community. It is very important when sharing stories and themes from marginalized groups, that we do our best to center their voices and invite their participation.
- It provides a great platform to discuss the importance of individuality, acceptance, empathy, and inclusion.
- It encourages participants to look beyond appearances and accept others as they are.
- It showcases the incredible value and importance of books and reading.
- Hosting such an event shows our community that we value ALL of our patrons. It is a concrete demonstration of our commitment to create a safe and welcoming space for all.
Happy Pride Week! 🌈
If you have concerns about children and abuse or exploitation, please check out these resources from the Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre, opens a new window.
Reading with Royalty Questions and Comments
"*" indicates required fields