Red Deer Public Library only accepts resumes for posted positions.
Open positions will be posted below.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY MANAGER - RED DEER PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Red Deer Public Library (RDPL), an award-winning not-for-profit corporation, is looking for someone who wants to change the world for the better as our Information Technology Manager. You will support our delivery of innovative and beloved services via RDPL’s three branches and outreach services. You’ll support Red Deer’s literacy, information, and entertainment needs. The enduring theme of our 108 years of operation is community service, and your passion for technology will help our community thrive.
We are looking for an innovative collaborator who will lead a small team of IT professionals to support initiatives flowing from library staff and community members through the management team. We try to be timely, cost-efficient, and socially responsible in all of our activities.
RDPL IT Services supports both the work of library staff members, including materials management, network communications, administrating hosted and cloud-based applications, as well as the immediate computer needs of the community, including public internet, WiFi, printing, and access to electronic materials.
- Serves on the senior management team, reports to the CEO.
- Collaborates with administration on budgets, billing, contracts, and statistics.
- Maintains operations in compliance with international standards as well as within legislative, business, budgetary, and policy requirements.
- Responsible for the negotiation, management, and supervision of contracts and leases related to the delivery of technology services.
- Responsible for the development of strategic plans, operating policies, and procedures for technology; ensures good, updated, documentation.
- Provides leadership, training, and guidance to staff.
- Encourages personal and professional development.
- Models open communication, teamwork, respect, and recognition.
- Fosters and maintains good relations with other libraries and community partners.
- Hands on and/or oversight for the life cycle planning, operation, & maintenance of all computer hardware and software, data networks, server rooms, and monitoring systems, including VOIP, public network, NAS, and hypervisors, for example.
- Researches and develops options to solve issues and improve processes and services; recommend solutions such as architecture, database management, specific vendor solutions, network resources, etc.
- Responsible within library policies for staff selection, supervision, training, performance appraisals, and related documentation.
- Minimum of five years experience as an IT manager, preferably with experience working within a unionized environment, budgeting, & negotiating vendor contracts.
- Fifteen or more years hands-on experience in IT.
- Thorough understanding of data networks and computing services.
- Networking protocols (i.e. trunking, OSPF, VLAN).
- Networking services (i.e. DNS, SMTP, Active Directory, NTP, RADIUS, NAS).
- Applications (i.e. Integrated Library System (ILS), G-suite, Drupal, Hypervisors).
- Microsoft servers and services (i.e. AD, WSUS, SCCM).
- Experience in supporting Unix-based server applications, Unix shell scripting, Unix command line tools and PHP and/or similar tools is required.
- A related degree from an accredited post-secondary institution, or equivalent combination of related diploma from an accredited institution, IT certification, and experience, as well as a demonstrated commitment to continuing education. We are open to being flexible but there will be significant skills testing to help us evaluate genuine expertise.
- MS/MIS in combination with other relevant education, training, and experience is highly desirable.
RDPL employees support and work within the Library Board policies and the RDPL Plan of Service including Vision and Mission Statements, Values, Goals, and the Canadian Federation of Library Association’s statement on Intellectual Freedom. RDPL is committed to diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation.
Hours of Work
Managers typically work a 35 hour week (negotiable) with considerable flexibility tied to serving emergent needs alongside the IT and management teams.
Based on experience and abilities, ranging from $48 per hour to $60 per hour.
Membership in the Alberta Pension Services Local Authorities Pension Plan, access to a Health Spending Account and enrollment in RDPL's health insurance plan.
Cover letter, resume, and three references may be emailed to email@example.com. Applications must be received no later than Monday, July 25th, 2022.
Conditions of Hire
A clean criminal record check, a current driver’s license, and proof of full Covid-19 vaccination are conditions of hire.
We thank you very much for your interest in employment with Red Deer Public Library and for taking time to apply. However, due to the volume of response, only those candidates selected for initial screening will be contacted.